Women In Islam
In the time of Jahiliyah (the time before Prophet Mohammed, Peace and Blessings Be Upon Him), baby girls were buried alive, as it was considered a great shame in having daughters. Women had little, if no rights and were treated like male property. Islam came as an empowerment to women and elevated their status from nothing to being equal to men in the sight of God. Among other things, women were given rights to inheritance, own property, financial independence, working outside of the home, running their own businesses, becoming Islamic Scholars, proposing to their future husbands, choosing who they marry, re-marrying after being widowed or divorced, holding positions in the government, along with being well-educated and continuing to pursue knowledge their whole lives. Muslim men must treat their mothers, sisters, daughters, wives, and other Muslimahs with honor and integrity. Prophet Mohamed (Peace and Blessings Be Upon Him) said: “Only an honorable man treats women with honor and integrity, and only a vile and dishonorable man humiliates and degrades women.”
Prophet Mohammed (Peace and Blessing Be Upon Him) said: “Whoever has three daughters and is patient with them and gives them drink and clothes them, they will be a protection for him (or her) against the Fire.” Also in Islam, daughters open the door of Heaven for their fathers and brothers. In Islam it is a great blessing to be blessed with daughters, and there is no shame in it whatsoever.
The first person to convert to the religion of Islam was a woman, Khadijah (May Allah Be Pleased With Her). The first person to die for the religion of Islam was a woman, Somaya (May Allah Be Pleased With Her). The greatest Islamic Scholar of all times was a woman, Aaishah (May Allah Be Pleased With Her). One of the greatest Muslim combat fighters was a woman, Khawlah (May Allah Be Pleased With Her). There is a chapter in the Quran dedicated to Women and there also is a chapter named after Mariam (Mary), Mother of Prophet Jesus (Peace Be Upon Him).
Unfortunately we find today that the status of Muslim women has greatly been diminished and devalued by patriarchy and anti-Islamic cultural practices around the world.
Islam is against violence and abuse of women:
* Prophet Mohammed (Peace and Blessings Be Upon Him) never hit a woman.
* “O ye who believe! Ye are forbidden to inherit women against their will. Nor should ye treat them with harshness, that ye may take away part of the dowery ye have given them,-except where they have been guilty of open lewdness; on the contrary live with them on a footing of kindness and equity. If ye take a dislike to them it may be that ye dislike a something that Allah brings about through it a great deal of good.[04:19]”
* “And among His Signs is this, that He created for you mates from among yourselves, that ye may dwell in tranquility with them, and He has put love and mercy between your (hearts): verily in that are Signs for those who reflect. [30:21]”
* Referring to Prophet Mohammed (Peace and Blessings Be Upon Him: “He never hit any female, and he used to say that the best of men are those who do not hit their wives. In one hadith he expressed his extreme repulsion from this behavior and said, ‘How does anyone of you beat his wife as he beats the stallion camel and then embrace (sleep with) her?’ (Al-Bukhari, English Translation, vol. 8, Hadith 68, pp. 42-43).” -Dr. Muzammil H. Siddiqi
* “Do not beat the female servants of Allah.”- Prophet Mohammed (Peace and Blessings Be Upon Him)
* “Some (women) visited my family complaining about their husbands (beating them). These (husbands) are not the best of you.” -Prophet Mohammed (Peace and Blessings Be Upon Him)
* “A Muslim would neither abuse nor speak bad words to, nor curse others.” -Prophet Mohammed (Peace and Blessings Be Upon Him) (Sahih Muslim)
* “Whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day should not harm his neighbors. And I command you to take good care of the women.” -Prophet Mohammed (Peace and Blessings Be Upon Him) (Bukhari)
* “No believing man should hate a believing woman, if he hates one of her manners, he should be satisfied with another.” -Prophet Mohammed (Peace and Blessings Be Upon Him)
* “The believers who have the best manners are those who have the most perfect faith. The best amongst you are the best towards their wives.” -Prophet Mohammed (Peace and Blessings Be Upon Him) (Tirmidhi)